October 18, 2009

Piece of Cake!

King Arthur's Unbleached Cake Flour Blend:

I LOVE working with King Arthur Flour products for so many reasons. My husband introduced me to this brand when we started shopping at BJ's Wholesale Club. We always bought King Arthur flour from here and used it in our baking, but then about 6 months ago we attended a free pie making and cookie decorating demonstration hosted by KAF, and got so many great ideas and tips. Since then I've been so curious to try out their other baking products. I've tried their whole wheat flour in baking muffins, and it's a great healthy alternative. I've also tried some of their cake mixes and they are 'to die for.' They are the best mixes I've ever tried.
Recently I was sent a box of their unbleached cake flour blend so I thought I'd give it a whirl. I tend to use cake mixes and then add things to them like sour cream, or chocolate chips, or fruit or jam, but making a cake from scratch is almost always so much tastier. I decided to use some champagne we were given and make champagne cake. I had been reading about champagne cake in a fiction novel I was reading (Piece de Resistance by Sandra Byrd) and it got me curious about this flavor cake, as I've never tasted it or made it.

After 10 minutes of mixing, and about 60 minutes of baking (our oven is out of wack so it takes longer), we had a delicious champagne cake. I love the flavor, and I don't usually eat most cakes. Go figure...I love baking cakes but don't usually enjoy eating them. Thankfully I have plenty of friends, family and coworkers who do enjoy eating cake :).







CHAMPAGNE CAKE RECIPE

2 3/4 c. sifted flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2/3 c. shortening
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 bottle (2/5 pt.) champagne (3/4 c.)
6 egg whites

Sift flour, baking powder and salt together and set aside. Cream shortening with 1 cup sugar until fluffy. Blend flour mixture alternately with champagne and mix to a smooth batter. Beat egg whites until stiff and soft peaks form. Fold about half the meringue into the batter, mixing thoroughly with whisk. Gently fold in remaining meringue. Turn into two greased and floured 9 inch cake pans.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until test done. When cake has rested 10 minutes, turn out to cool. When cold, put together with coconut filling.

Recipe found here: http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,196,150179-226198,00.html


\
Disclaimer: I was provided with a box of KAF unbleached flour for this review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search Engine

Disclaimer

This policy is valid from October 01, 2009

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact mjf926@gmail.com.

This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, and other forms of compensation.

The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post may not always be identified as paid or sponsored content.

The owner(s) of this blog is occasionally compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, I always give my honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers’ own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.

To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org


google.com, pub-1349096555070924, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0